My hubby and fútbol

When I met Shea 14 years ago, he could not have been less interested in fútbol. His family was not into any sport, and my husband had never really watch fútbol.

Shea knew from day one that I have a crazy love for fútbol, that my family cheered for Chivas and that if he wanted to date me, then he was going to have to sit through some crazy fútbol games. He must have loved me a lot because he did. Now, don't think this is a one-way street, I've also done my share of compromising by learning about Star Wars (my hubby's passion) and really growing to love it!

The first World Cup after we got engaged and just before our wedding, was the Germany 2006 World Cup. Our wedding was at the end of the summer that year, and I was still living in Mexico then. Every time we would talk on the phone or video chat, I would tell Shea about the games and how Mexico was doing or that Mexico had been eliminated again, or that this country or that country was great. I think that is when it hit Shea that fútbol was much more than a small hobby I had. It was a passion.

During the 2010 South Africa World Cup, I was pregnant with our first baby and we visited Mexico for a whole month. Most of our visit fell during the quarter finals through the final game.

My husband was ready this time. He never told me this but before the World Cup started that year, he started researching the event. In a very Shea fashion, he went into soccer by researching the history of World Cup, what it means to other countries, what countries were playing and who their best players were. He watched YouTube videos of the best players and was pretty surprised about how interesting and beautiful fútbol was.

I was truly surprised that year. Shea shared facts and statistics with some of my family members, who were sort of shocked that Shea knew so much about the teams. My cousins approached me and told me that they had no idea that Shea liked fútbol. I told them that neither did I. =) I have to say, seeing my husband taking the time to learn about something I loved so much, made me love him even more. It was so sweet of him to do this for me.

When I told him last winter (2018) that we would cheer for Atlanta United and that we would watch the season, my husband agreed and went with it. Again, he started researching the coach, the players and watching videos of their previous season.  He thought they were really good and he was curious to see them play.

On March 11th, 2018, we went to the home opening game at Mercedes Benz Stadium. It was our first time at a game at the new stadium and our first game to watch Atlanta United. I will have to do a different post on what that first game was like, but for the sake of this one, I will just say that the game made Shea commit to Atlanta United.

 He saw the combined talents of Almiron and Martinez, creating plays that were impressive. He got to experience for the first time the excitement of being at the stadium and cheering for your team. He felt the frustration of a bad call, the injustice of an unfair foul and the magic of seeing your team score four goals.

As we were leaving the stadium, I told him I wanted to get a scarf and asked if he wanted one or perhaps a t-shirt. He said to me that he wanted a Martinez or Almiron's jersey. I was shocked! My husband was willing to spend money on an official jersey of the team. I never thought I would hear him say that!

Last season, we went to 3 season games, the playoffs, the Eastern Conference Final and the MLS Cup Final! Shea screamed, cheered and chanted with everyone else as we became champions.
He even took the day off to go and see the parade. In the freezing cold rain, my husband stood for hours to be able to see that historical Atlanta moment. He was in first row watching and cheering as they lifted the MLS Cup. I couldn't go with him but there he was, on his own, experiencing his new and crazy fútbol love.

My gosh! I love this man.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

¿Por qué un blog?

CCL Atlanta vs Monterrey Leg 2